October 27, 2013

They're like little cabbages.

When I was a kid I hated Brussels sprouts - and my mom was a real butter and lots of salt kind of cook - so I'm pretty sure they were prepared well, and I still wouldn't eat them. But, you know, as we get older our tastes sometimes change. Yesterday, I was in the grocery store looking for veggies to roast in the oven, and there the Brussels sprouts were all washed, trimmed, and looking delicious on the shelf. So I grabbed a bag and took them home.

I put them in the pan with yellow potatoes, baby carrots, onion, and garlic, then drizzled them with olive oil, Lawry's salt and pepper, put them in the oven and waited for the magic to happen. Thirty minutes later I had this beautiful pan of color:




















You see how the Brussels sprouts are all moved gently to one side of the pan? Yeah, that's to keep them from touching the good food. Life lesson. Sometimes your taste buds are right the first time. Listen to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment