March 1, 2013

the Singing Butler gets a makeover

I have always envied rooms that can change with the seasons, and wanted to redo our room with colors and furniture that let me do that. A few months ago, we redid our bedroom, and incorporated things that would give us that blank slate to work with, but not be boring.

I painted the room a tan-yellow color that matches a blond wood cabinet that used to be my grandmother's and the print of The Singing Butler - which is one of my favorites. We already had the white comforter and the red one is the solid side of a striped comforter from last year. I found a great yellow and white solid quilt on clearance at Target.

I swapped our wood slat blinds for the white curtains that were in the middle daughter's room. We also had the little tree and bear rug that I took to the fabric store, where my oldest helped to pick out a great plaid that matched almost perfectly. We bought enough to make a few pillow covers and to cover the piece of wood that makes makes the dog crate into a table.

I love how the room has a just hint of lodge. When summer rolls around, we'll switch out the red for something else - maybe celery green or pastel vintage print quilts.