January 10, 2009

It's a curse I tell you....

I am planner challenged. I can't seem to find the right fit.

If I was just responsible for me I could pick up any one of the free monthly pocket calendars that are handed out this time of year. I like monthly calendars, because I can see before we get to the "day of" that we have basketball, a fundraiser, and a girl scout meeting on the same night. But as the social director and transportation manager for four other people, those itty bitty boxes just don't do it.

So I switched to a weekly format. I tried 1 page per week, 2 pages per week and even tried making my own pages. But there is no room in a weekly for for other things like bills that are due, fitness goals, or grocery lists. Part of my obsessive organizing is list-making - that, or it's a highly developed strategy to compensate for my absolute lack of memory. Either way I cannot survive without lists and need to keep them with me, preferably safety pinned to my jacket. Last year I thought I had the right planner - I bought a Moleskine with the weekly calendar on the left and a blank page on the right. It was great for keeping schedules and lists in one place but still too small for our lives.

Now, add the one other complication that I am an aesthetics person. It matters to me what the paper feels like, how see through it is, how big the lines are, and what color the cover is. I like spiral bound so I can fold it over, and it has to be durable enough to take with me everywhere (that memory thing again). I am open to suggestions....

No comments:

Post a Comment